History of the Bluenose Lodge

67 years of hospitality: 1946-2013

The Bluenose Lodge was originally built as a family home in 1863 for William Morash. It was the height of current fashion: A Victorian Gothic building with a central tower, gables, peaked windows, and the first house in town to have a "widow's walk ". In 1886, it was sold to Charles Morash, a prominent merchant/builder who owned it until 1921. It was then sold to Capt. Carl Kohler. Descendants of both families still reside in Lunenburg.

After the war as pleasure travel resumed and was expected to grow, Lunenburg had little to offer in accommodation; the provincial government ran newspaper ads encouraging individuals to open their homes to tourists. In 1946, the Kohlers sold the property to a Halifax tailor, Claude Vincent, who added the kitchen and dining room. The Bluenose Lodge was born.